Saturday, November 10, 2007

I Ain't No Paula Deen and Here's What Some Choco Pound Cake Will Get You
















Okay, last night I actually cooked dinner for Tim and I which is getting to be a rarity around here....lately it's been make do with whatever you can find in the freezer or let's go out again.

So, I got real fancy and decided to make brownies too. Now, not homemade or anything but I can't do any better than Duncan Hines. Quick sidenote: I made them a week or so ago and forgot they were in the oven, went upstairs and showered, never heard the timer and then went to dry my hair wondering who was grilling chicken outside...that was when it occurred to me that NO one was grilling chicken outside at 10:30 am and I remembered my brownies. Scorched. Yep, a whole 9 x 13 of 15-20 minute overcooked, scorched brownies. Trash.

So, back to last night's brownie attempt. I set the timer and stayed nearby so as not to dare overbake them again. All was well and out they came after 25 minutes. I set them on the stovetop to cool like I always do. We ate our dinner. 15-20 minutes later I came into the kitchen and smelled scorched brownies. I had forgotten to turn the burner off that I'd been cooking on and the brownies had been continuing to bake as they sat there.

WAH! One row was edible and the rest were trash. Again.

What in the heck is it with me and brownies lately?

So, now let's get to the reference of Paul Deen.

Mom is a SUPER HUGE fan of Paula's, has all her cookbooks and was beside herself with joy when I got her tickets to a show in the Cincy area for Mother's Day earlier this year. We went, we had a blast and I was suddenly a fan myself of Paula who is not the proper southern lady you might think she would be. Fact is, she's a little raunchy! But she's real and she's hilarious and she puts on a great show.

Fast forward and Paula is coming to Louisville Sat., November 10th. Okay, this time it's not an hour and a half away, it's right in our own backyard. So, we get tickets and off we go this morning bright and early. We got to take part in a meet and greet that started 40 minutes before the show and we weren't quite sure what to expect. They announced that she wouldn't be doing autographs or individual photos but she would like to chit chat with some of her nearest and dearest fans. All 70 of us.

I'm racking my brain trying to think up a good story to get my mom up there in Paula's loving arms as she wanted nothing else but a picture with her for her kitchen and scrapbook! She wouldn't let me lie and say it was her birthday. So, I rack my brain and rack my brain and the chocolate pound cake comes to me. Mom just tasted it at a church turkey dinner and hasn't stopped talking about it since. I practice my speech, start shaking all over (it's been WAY too many years since I overcame that in my Public Speaking course in college...sigh...), and wait for the opportunity to get her attention. I knew she wouldn't say no if I could get to her.

So, after the two cute little girls asked about her children's cookbook and got to go up and have their picture taken with Paula, I catch her attention and begin my story that hopefully will sound good enough to get the job done. It went something like this: "Paula, if my mom makes your chocolate pound cake for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is her new favorite recipe, could she come up there and shake your hand?" Paula, ever the gracious celebrity, beckons her up and mom heads up in complete disbelief. I have somehow maintained composure and not shaken to my death and follow her with my camera armed and ready. I snap away and they hug and hug and talk and talk and I finally have to ask them to turn around so I can get a picture that isn't of just Paula's hind portion.

They pose and mom is teary eyed from the whole experience which is kinda cool and I take two shots. I shake Paula's hand quickly as I head back to my seat and thank her and know that I just won the World's Most Awesome Daughter Award this year.

A few others got to go up there too and a photographer from the Courier Journal was there and gave us a number to call to see about getting the photo he took of mom and Paula too.

After that was all over, we took some more random pictures by blown up magazine covers and headed downstairs for the show. The set was beautiful, much more impressive than the stage and venue of the 4-H sponsored show we saw last time. Her husband Michael was there, she introduced many of her staff members and entourage, crowned a most deserving Queen for the Day, threw in a little bit of cooking with the help of more staff and Michael and made the day of a little multi-handicapped boy named Noah. (that was totally awesome and unexpected and even Paula was teary) Go Noah! AND, I literally almost ran into his mom and him in the parking garage and told her that I had taken a bunch of pictures of him up there and even though I was sure they'd get some professional pictures would she want me to send them to her? She was thrilled and gave me her email addy. Okay, can we say, that was meant to be? Us cutting down the alley to the parking garage and coming out at the same time she was walking by AND we saw them leave the theatre way before we even started moving? WOW! Super cool!

So, it was like the best day ever and so much fun and we took lots of photos, got some free magazines, bought matching pink t-shirts, an apron and have some great memories!

1 comment:

RaeChelle said...

That is an awesome story! Every bit of it! Your mom looks fab! What a dream, my sister also loves Paula and would love to meet her as well. Maybe one day!!