Sunday, August 19, 2007

State Fairs Have Come a Long Way In My Book



Years ago when I was about 14 I thought going to the state fair was up there with all sorts of bad things like eating peas, math, strep tests at the doctor's....it seemed so, agricultural? A city girl like me couldn't see the excitement in cows and tobacco, you know? Several years later, I went to one on a date and it wasn't so bad, I don't think, however, all I remember is a ride in a helicopter that was very loud and bumpy.


Flash forward a few more years. KY State Fair in Louisville. It's a big deal here. My husband- to- be at the time took me and even he was a little scared of the crowd. Said we should drive his old Honda to leave in the crowded parking lot for hours. Well, first image I see....cow butt fans. No kidding, aimed straight at the back forty and I couldn't stop laughing. Did a scrapbook layout on the whole thing of course. Anyway, after 8 years of attending it with Tim, I've really grown fond of it. I look forward to it. I am in awe of the photography section, I steal ideas, I love the decorated Christmas trees, the dollhouses and room scenes, the fancy cakes, the beautiful handmade quilts, and especially the antiques section!


Decided to enter a layout or two in the scrapbooking division this year. Thanks SLD for pointing it out....never finished the wedding layout but managed to do a birthday layout and get it entered in time.


Guess what? I won second premium (prize)! I think I love the state fair even more now....

No comments: