Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Girl Who Owned A Book


"A killing virus has swept the earth, sparing only children through the age of twelve. There is chaos everywhere, even in formerly prosperous America. Gangs and fierce armies of children begin to form almost immediately. It would be the same for the children on Grand Avenue but for Lisa, a ten year old girl who becomes their leader. Because of Lisa, they have food, even toys, in abundance. And now they can protect themselves from the fierce gangs that roam the neighborhoods. But for how long? Then Lisa conceives the idea of a fortress, a city in which the children could live safely and happily always, and she intends to lead them there."


This book, written in 1975 by O.T. Nelson, is one of my all-time favorites. I read it years ago in either middle or high school and had the paperback in my possession for years. Somewhere along the way though, I either sold it or traded it and I suddenly remembered the book last year. I found it available in abundance on Ebay and hinted to my dh that I would love to have it for Christmas.


Sure enough, last December, it was one of my presents under the tree and I was so excited to have it again! I saved it for a few months, well, actually, I think I forgot about it! Anyway, I read it a couple of months ago and it was just as engaging as I remembered. I highly recommend it and am going to hunt around and see if the author actually did write a follow up as mentioned in the forward.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Sounds like something I would have enjoyed as a kid too. I may have to borrow it from you.