Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Well, Well, We Finally Have An Answer

Or, no I'm not a hypochondriac after all.

After months and months and months and months (we're talking a good year or two) of having major digestive issues and problems, I finally got an answer today.

Gallbladder.

It hates me and wants out.

Never mind that last May I went to the doctor for "Upper Right Quadrant Pain" and he immediately sent me across the street to the hospital for a CT Scan of my gallbladder. Never mind that I had the same symptoms way back then now only worse in the last couple of months. Never mind that when the results were negative he never suggested an ultrasound or HIDA scan of my gallbladder. Never mind that when I tried to get into my doctor's a couple of weeks ago on a Friday they had no openings and then finally said they'd try to get me in the following Wednesday but first they'd ask my internist if she'd work me in that day and NO ONE EVER CALLED ME.

So when I finally pursued it again, this time with yet another doctor at the practice who said she'd see me last Wednesday, she said right off the bat, sure sounds like gall bladder to me and this time had a game plan. She had a course of action to get to the bottom of it all. She was on the ball and I was and am impressed. She informed me that I'd first have to do an Ultrasound of my gallbladder and usually, especially with women, they are negative. SO, if it was indeed negative, THEN we'd do a HIDA scan which is the test that gives them pretty much the final answer. I asked why not do that one first then and she said they want the Ultrasound done first. Which is exactly what the tech said today stating that if they do the HIDA and you have gallstones it can be extremely painful. So, there is a valid reason.

It was negative and the HIDA was scheduled for today. They injected me with two substances and the girl happened to mention that the report would probably be written up today and I could get it from their medical records dept before it got over to my doctor's office. So, I called them tonight thinking I'd be going tomorrow and it was ready and they were open until 7pm.

So, off I trotted to the hospital, getting up from the bed where I was laying feeling nauseous and reading a book.

And, I got an answer. Finally.

I was told that a normal ejection fraction rate is 30% or better.

Here's what my report states: "A gallbladder ejection fraction of 6% in addition to the reproduction of symptoms upon CCK stimulation suggests gallbladder dysfunction.

Sounds like it's hardly functioning at all. Therefore, explaining my symptoms and why I've basically felt like crap and have been nauseous when I eat, smell food, think about food, shop for food, etc, along with several other symptoms that I won't bore you with.

Waiting now to talk to my internist when she gets the report and a little scared to boot.

But at least now I KNOW and NOT KNOWING drives me crazy!

5 comments:

Ann said...

Hate to hear this news, but let us know if you need our help with anything.

obsessed scrapbooker said...

Thanks, I was less than thrilled with the verdict myself!

obsessed scrapbooker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

If it's any comfort, I hear that gallbladder surgery is now an outpatient procedure and is minimally invasive.

I remember when I was a kid, my aunt had her gallbladder removed, and it was major surgery. She was in the hospital for about a week.

obsessed scrapbooker said...

So I've recently heard. But, um, if they used to keep you, why are they kicking you out so soon nowadays? Who's watching you closely after the surgery? WAH!