Monday, April 14, 2008

Flying The Unfriendly Skies

Baggage allowance
For each ticketed customer, US Airways will transport:

1 checked bag free of charge, and
1 bag as a carry-on
Additional checked baggage
A second checked bag will be assessed a $25* fee. The new fee applies to travel on or after May 5 for tickets purchased on or after February 26, 2008.
Checked bags Under 50 pounds/23 kg 51 - 70 pounds/23-32 kg 71-100 pounds/32-45 kg
First checked bag Free $50* $100*
Second bag $25* $75* $125*
Third - ninth bag(s) $100* $150* $200*

*Fees listed are in USD and will be charged in the local equivalent

This really irritates me. I can't tell you how much this irritates me. I just booked our trip to VA in June to visit dad and the tickets are already more than double what they used to be. Each flight was over $400 each. My dad happened to mention that he thought most airlines had gone to letting you check only one bag for free. I couldn't believe it. Well, he sent me this info from the USAirways website today and it's true. I called USAirways to discuss seats this morning and they said it's to offset increasing fuel charges. Well, buddy, I think they already took care of that with the $400 plus ticket fees don't you?

So, now my option is to either pay $25 EACH WAY mind you for another bag or take a larger one that will either be backbreaking for me, Tim, and/or Dad and possibliy overweight by the return trip, thereby costing additional bucks.

How can you pack one bag for 10 days worth of clothes and toiletries and expect that to also accomodate any purchases you want to bring back? Ridiculous.

So, just add $50 bucks to my flight plan.

No comments: