Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Antiquing in Springfield Ohio



Mom and I hit the road last Thursday night and headed to Springfield, Ohio for their June Antiques Show at the Fairgrounds Friday. We got up early Friday morning and arrived at the gate just after 8am. We were worried that it would get very hot and humid so we scoured the outdoor vendors first and then hit the three inside buildings.

It was a little smaller than the show last year but I still had a great time! Actually, it was just the right size for me. We were pleasantly surprised that it never did get too hot or uncomfortable, gotta love Ohio! Tim reported that it was miserable and too hot to even mow the overgrown grass back in IN.

After we finished up the show Friday afternoon, we had just enough time to hit the first antique mall (there are three large ones right near each other). We chose the AAA- I70 mall since it's the smallest. We found some treasures of course and closed them down at 5. Went back to the hotel briefly and had a great pizza at the Hickory Inn, a local restaurant in town that had the largest and most diverse menu I've ever seen! They were packed! After dinner, we made a quick stop at Big Lots but they didn't have any Thickers I hadn't already found in Louisville! Fell into bed exhausted and geared up for another big day of malling!

Saturday we did sleep in a bit and took the back roads in search of the junk shop we had discovered last year! Found it as we turned a corner and it was just as bad, worse actually, as last year! But bad can be good! I found some great stuff there and got a box full for a great price. The downstairs isn't too bad. The upstairs, well, they shouldn't even let customers up there! It literally is like going into someone's attic! The owner apparently buys out houses and estates and just throws the boxes of stuff up there. A toppled bookcase and about 15 boxes piled in front of the book area prevented me from getting to dig through their great books and magazines this time. That was disappointing! I managed to find a few on the floor though, including several wonderful old Book of Knowledge reference books!

I spent an hour there digging and then we went on to the Springfield Antique Center. It's always been a nice mall too and is right behind the AAA-I70 mall. We were in there about 4 hours! We were so hungry when we left! Headed down to the Heart of Ohio mall and had a quick and yummy lunch at their little cafe. Then shoppped till 7:10pm! We had just enough room left in the car for our purchases although I had to empty one box and stash books here and there in the car!

Then began the grueling trip home! Tired and weary, the last hour was the worst and poor mom admitted she was a little scared with my driving it! We did make it home safely though and fell into bed!

I have managed to sort through most of my treasures and get them somewhat organized! (thrown in the basement until further notice) No, actually I have put some things away and I can almost see the front parlor table again!

Most of my purchases will go in my etsy shop eventually! One small grouping (the one with the trims and Dennison label books) are definitely keepers. The other goodies I found for my collections went home with mom and will make a reappearance under the Christmas tree this December!

Mom did find some things for her collections too but I don't have any pictures! She found two beautiful wedding cake toppers, a mannequin head, some cookbooks, a white victorian lawn dress and some vintage hats!

No comments: