Monday, May 25, 2009

I Went Junkin' On Friday














I set my alarm for 6:00 am Friday so I could hit some early estate sales and yard sales before going out to the Stewart's Flea Market. I wasn't sure I really wanted to get up that early and when I woke up at 5:40 am I was contemplating turning the alarm off.

Then the phone rang and it was the Sherrif's dept. calling because they had found an abandoned Honda Accord somewhere on Pekin Rd! It was still registered to Tim Young and they wanted to know if they had the right number! WAH! I informed the lady that yes, this was the right number, however, the vehicle had been sold a few weeks ago! I could just picture it getting hauled back to our house! Fortunately, Tim was off work that day so he was able to talk to them. So, now we knew the fate of his poor old Honda although we debated whether something actually went wrong with it or it just ran out of gas!

At this point, I decided I might as well get up and hit the sales! I'm glad I did! I went to a yard sale that listed Antiques first and the couple was one I recognized from Stewart's. They were super nice and I scored some great old children's blocks and Chistmas light reflectors still in their packages! The couple are also collector's and let me peek in their garage and front porch! Fun stuff! Then on to an "estate sale" that was a joke! It was just a driveway full of overpriced stuff! They had some neat signs but not neat prices! A set of barrel furniture in the basement was offered for $950. I stopped at another sale nearby and found an old flocked Christmas wreath in it's original box for 25 cents! I then drove out to Georgetown to a sale that listed many sewing items. Boy were they busy! Every woman that sewed was there I do believe! I only got two magazine style books and a little package of Made by Frances tags. The lady said, "Is your name Frances?" I said no but I liked them anyway! Turns out she was Frances.

I stopped at McDonald's for chocolate chips cookies and some caffeine and then headed to Louisville to the Stewart's Flea Market at the fairgrounds. I headed straight to the Junk Guy and was a little disappointed in his stock this time. I ended up buying mainly kitschy earrings, an Apple Dumplin' necklace, a reproduction Sears catalog and something for mom. I found a few other good books in another booth and a set of vintage Dennison wedding seals. I also got a fabulous gift to put away for Mom's Christmas! On the way home, I stopped at a new thrift store in town and scored a great box of buttons and some lace and yarn. I saw a sign for a church sale and decided it was too close not to check out. Scored some more books, a package of ladies underwear from the 1970s (brand new!) and a couple of other more practical items! My favorite book was a great dressmaking guide with fabulous illustrations (see picture!). All in all, it was a successful junkin' day!

No comments: