Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Okay So Back to Virginia











Let's talk details! Tim and I planned months ago to go to Virginia for my dad's big 75th birthday! He had decided to have a Sunday brunch at the Kiln Creek Golf Club on the actual day, Nov. 22nd, and Tim was fortunate to get off work that Fri and Mon so we could attend. We flew out Thurs, Nov. 19th and breezed through our flights! Never have we flown so smoothly! We've always had some sort of problem or another! No pilot, no crew, delays, delays, delays! Not this time! We even arrived EARLY!

So we crammed a lot in during a little amount of time! We checked out the new Chic-Fil-A in Hidenwood on the way to his house Thurs night. Friday I was allowed out and about for 3 1/2 hours. I had hoped to see my friend Trish but she had to work at her kids' school so I didn't get to. :[ I was ordering sandwiches at the Cheese Shoppe and sniffing their decadent air at 10:15 that morning. Snapped a quick pix of the old Hidenwood Pharmacy sign which is looking very 70s now! Then on to the scrapbook store and to the mall to meet Andrea for lunch. We met at the food court and enjoyed our Cheese Shoppe sandwiches! I discovered I needed to purchase some new knee hi's when I put on a brand new pair of cheapo No Nonsense and they immediatetly fell down to my ankles so I dashed into JC Penney to pick some better ones up! Made a quickie stop at a thrift store (I just couldn't drive by it without stopping!) and found four bags of wonderful old vintage Christmas bulbs in their original boxes! 24 boxes of them per gallon ziploc! I called Tim to confer and ended up with 2 of them. The girl even cut the cost a bit for me! Also found a clown ornament for my circus tree and a set of 3 Napcoware Christmas figurines. Note: Tim liked the bulbs so much that we went back for the other two bags Sat morning. Still got the same deal since the same girl was there! YAY! I plan to put some up on etsy.

Tim and Dad had meanwhile gone to the Hot Dog King for well, obviously, hot dogs! We met up about 1:45 (I was late!) and headed to Phoebus. I forgot again that the big antique mall there had closed but we still found 3 others and a bookstore to go to so it was fun and Dad snoozed in the car because he hates antiquing! But he humored us. We drove by Buckroe Beach to see the water and found an old sign (Jack's) on the way home! Yay! For my vintage sign scrapbook! Stopped by another thrift store in Hampton and then hit the giant Dollar Tree which even now has a bakery!

Dinner at a great restaurant called Nonna's! The garlic knots and pizza were delish!
Came home and dug out pictures for Dad's photo display of through the years pictures for his birthday! I brought some with me but needed some that he had.

Saturday took us to Williamsburg after we got a late start! We hit the Williamsburg Antique Mall and I found some great stuff there! Flash cards, bottle caps, 2 Scottie dog gifts for my aunt for Christmas, 2 Enesco ornaments, children's books and more! Dad was a trooper again! Then on to lunch at the NY Deli and to the outlets. Tim finally found some jeans and got a sweater at Haggar. We then had to dash down the road to get to the second hour of Emma's birthday party which just happened to be held at Jumping Joey's down the road from the outlets! Afterwards, we went back to the outlets so I could hit Liz Claiborne, Charlotte Russe (my new favorite store!), Coach and Skechers! We closed it down at 9pm!

Sunday brought us party day and I'll go into more detail about that on a separate post! Sunday night was Dad's famous london broil, yummy!

No comments: